How to Choose a Bed For Your DogPetmania Pet Care Advisor
Every Dog Needs a Dog Bed
Every dog needs a space to call its own; so a comfy bed he can relax in will be needed. There is a wide range of beds to choose from, including hard dog beds, soft dog cushions, orthopaedic mattresses and waterproof beds.
As there are many types of dogs, there are many types of dog beds, so a lot of thought and consideration should go into your decision on what bed is best for your dog. With many different things to think about it can feel overwhelming, so here are a few tips we’ve put together on what you should watch out for when picking out a new bed for your dog.
Choosing a Dog Bed
Just like our human beds, there is no ‘one size fits all’ for dogs, and you will need to make sure your dog can fit comfortably in any bed you choose for him; both now, and in the future.
If buying a bed for a puppy, you will need to consider how big he will grow and buy a bed that he will comfortably fit into even a few months down the line. Some breeds grow faster than others, such as the Irish wolfhound.
It is a good idea to measure your dog while he’s asleep to get an accurate picture of how big the bed will need to be. Measure your dog from his nose to his tail while he’s sleeping. Then, add between 8 and 12 inches to determine the length or diameter of the bed you choose.
Look at your dog when he’s sleeping and consider what shape he’s in. Different beds will suit different types of sleeping dog, so be sure to consider this when making a decision for your pooch.
- Crate Beds are great for dogs who spend the day in their crate or are currently crate training. It’ll be somewhere comfy and cosy for them to rest, play with toys, and relax. Beds like the MIDWEST Quiet Time Pet Bed and MIDWEST Quiet Time Couture Paxon Pad are durable (ideal for teething puppies!), washable, and perfect if you’re looking to create a den-like atmosphere for your dog.
- Lounger Beds, also known as ‘box beds’ are ideal for dogs who like to dig in and make themselves a cosy little nest. Options like the BEDDIES Charcoal and Orange Lounger and the M-PETS ECO Moon Bed are perfect for doggies that like to snuggle down before they fall asleep!
- Does your dog like to sprawl out or lean and stretch as he is napping? Choose a Mattress Bed like the BEDDIES Green Check Mattress or M-PETS Snake Bench Cushion for dogs that like to lie flat. Both comfortable, functional and durable, these beds are also good options if you own a large dog breed who needs lots of space.
- Plastic beds are durable, strong, and ideal if you have a dog that likes to chew a lot. By adding a comfy cushion into your plastic bed, it provides comfort for a sleeping dog whilst also being easy to just wipe clean. Options like the MP Bergamo Eco Plastic Tino Bed and the IMAC Dido Plastic Bed Stone are perfect when looking for a robust bed for your dog.
- Does your dog spend a lot of time outdoors? A waterproof bed might the best option for you. They prevent the water soaking into the cushion underneath the cover, so are great for dogs who like to spend time outside. Check out BEDDIES Aqua Waterproof Cushion and BEDDIES Anthracite Waterproof Mattress if you are in need of a bed that will stay strong against Irish rain!
Some dogs will have certain special needs. A heat pad for your dog’s bed can be good for some dogs on cold nights, especially ones without big fur coats. Older dogs who may suffer with conditions like arthritis, hip dysplasia, and other joint or circulation problems will benefit from an orthopaedic or memory foam bed which they can get in and out of easily.
Try to coordinate his bed with the interior design of your home to make it ‘fit in.’ There are many fashionable options to choose from in a wide range of colours and styles, all washable and designed for easy maintenance. Your dog’s comfy bed will fit right in with any home décor.
Any bed you choose needs to be sufficiently padded and made from comfortable material. If you intend on bringing your dog and his bed on outdoor adventures like camping trips, a more robust material is best. Waterproof or water resistant beds are useful in avoiding damp.
Make sure any bed you choose is washable too, especially if your dog will be playing outside a lot!
Where To Put The Dog Bed
Like you, your dog will want a quiet place to relax after a long day, so make sure his bed is located in an area of the house that doesn’t get a lot of foot traffic. Ideally it is somewhere warm, quiet and doesn’t get a lot of draughts.
It may be a good idea to get more than one bed for your dog too. You could place one bed in a quiet area where they go for a nice long sleep, and another in the family room so he can still relax in a comfortable sport and be in your company.
Petmania has a wide range of doggie beds available that will suit every size, shape, and style you’re looking for-shop below!