What is the Best Dog Toy?Petmania Pet Care Advisor
Wondering What Dog Toy is the Best? Find Out Here.
With so many different dog toys available, is it any wonder that choosing the best one for your dog can be so confusing? In this blog post we want to help you understand the different types of toys available, so that you can choose the ones that best suit your dog! Before we look at the different types, let us first look at why we use them in the first place.
Benefits of Dog Toys
Just like humans, dogs love to be entertained and toys are a perfect way to make play interesting and educational.
- Prevent Boredom: Preventing your dog from becoming bored, which can have a negative effect on their physical and mental health, is essential! An under stimulated dog can become lethargic and irritable if they do not get enough entertainment, or they could have too much energy that they do not know what to do with. This high energy, combined with boredom can lead to disruptive or negative behaviour.
- Provide Comfort: Comfort toys can help relieve stress during times spent alone, while travelling or while sleeping. Much like children may have a favourite toy, your dog may have a dog-friendly soft toy to snuggle up.
- Rewarding Your Dog: Delayed reward toys that allow you to hide treats for your dog can entertain and stimulate your dog’s brain while he searches for the reward at the end!
- Protect Your Furniture: For dogs and puppies that love to chew, especially developed chew toys can give them something to gnaw on and help save your shoes, sofa legs, favourite handbag…
- Make Exercise Fun: Interactive dog toys can make playtime fun for not only your dog, but for you too!
So What Dog Toy is Best?
Finding the best dog toy for you dog, is going to be dependent on what you want that toy for, the age and size of your dog. Find the perfect toy for your dog is about know what she likes!
Tennis Balls, Soccer Balls, Squeaky Balls
A long term favourite with dogs that love to play, balls for dogs are designed to be more durable than human ones, created to withstand some tough play! We love the SPORTSPET range that includes high bounce balls and options in different sizes to suit larger or smaller breeds. For dogs that love to play football, we recommend the JOLLY PET range of soccer balls, just for dogs.
It’s important to note that high impact play like chasing ball can put pressure on your puppy’s developing joints so avoid it until your pup is fully grown.
Tug Rope Toys:
Rope toys are great for dogs that love to play tug-of-war and are a great way to make playtime fun! If you have more than one dog, they may play together with these toys.
Plush toys are soft comfort toys for your pup or adult dog to snuggle up to. High quality plush dog toys like those available from will be made from soft, dog-safe materials, and will often include a chew-friendly element for extra entertainment.
It is natural for your dog to want to chew, and chew toys are a great way to help keep your dog’s teeth clean. For young puppies who are teething a specially designed puppy chew can soothe sore gums and help protect your shoes. Brands like KONG and M-PETS have a great range of high quality chews that your dog will love. Especially developed chew toys for dogs will ensure that your dog had something safe to gnaw on and are available in different strengths to suit your dog’s jaws!
Treat Dispensers & Puzzles:
These are toys that contain treats for your dog. They can be filled with your dog’s favourite treat or kibble and challenge your dog with hours of entertainment. These toys are fantastic to provide mental stimulation and are a great option for times when your dog needs to be left alone as you pop to the shops.